6 great beaches within a half hour drive of Hotel 3 Alpacas.
1. Playa Merón Just 13 minutes by car, Playa Merón feels utterly isolated and wild. At the mouth of the Merón River, the beach is flanked by cliffs and shaped like a shell. It can be fun trying to find the beach, as the approach through local roads is complex. In the final stretch a narrow concreted track has been completed ending in a small car park. It’s a very quiet beach and is frequented by naturists.
2. Playa España Just 11 minutes by car, Playa España is very popular beach with crystal clear water. The river España runs into the bay which is surrounded by vertical cliffs and rocks that give great beauty to the environment. Its strong waves make it an important site for surfing and its proximity to Gijón and Villaviciosa makes it a popular beach. The area is rural, lacks public transport and is not accessible for the disabled. www.turismoasturias.es/descubre/costa/playas/playa-espana
3. Playa De La Ñora 21 minutes by car from Hotel 3 Alpacas, Playa De La Ñora is a small cove at the foot of a viewpoint.
The beach is flanked by cliffs, has golden sand and strong waves. It can get busy in summer as it is easy to get to and has several car parks. Into it flows the river of the same name, which happens to be the boundary between the councils of Gijón and Villaviciosa.
The beach is 26 minutes from Hotel 3 Alpacas and is located in the Natural Reserve of the Ria de Villaviciosa, an expansive estuary, famed for its bird watching.
Rodiles has an extensive wooded area of pine and eucalyptus trees and a wooden promenade and plenty of picnic benches along the banks of the estuary. Over a kilometer long and 300 meters wide, though with great variation with the tides, it is one of the largest beaches and one of the busiest, and is especially good for surfing and fishing. It is a very open area, with strong waves.
5. Playa de Estaño https://www.turismoasturias.es/descubre/costa/playas/playa-de-estano
Playa de Estaño has a natural pool carved in the rock. The beach is small and has a sand bar joining a very small island. This is the beach of Estaño, a semi-urban cove just five kilometers from Gijón. It is recommended to swim on the left hand side of the beach, although you have to maintain caution due to its rocky bottom.
6. Playa Serín and Cagonera https://www.turismoasturias.es/descubre/costa/playas/playa-de-serin
The beach of Serín, 22 minutes from Hotel 3 Alpacas, next to its neighbor, the beach of the Cagonera, are two small and isolated inlets. With difficult access, Serín is frequented by nudists. The sea is not deep here and swimming is not recommended, due to the rocky seabed.
Cagonera, is a small beach that is used as a refuge for boats and fishermen. Again, bathing is not advisable.